Just wanted to say hello......... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

MNC Forum » Smoko » Just wanted to say hello......... « Previous Next »

Kev Gregory
Posted on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 04:15 pm:   

Stumbled accross this site via Friends Reunited, was amazed and really pleased to find it.

I joined Shell straight from school in 1975 as a Nav Cadet, doing all my shore 'studies' at Greenhithe, we were the first batch in the new accomodation when we did our 2 week induction course.

Over the next five years I sailed on 6 ships, flunked my ONC and DTI exams, had a second crack at my own expense and tragically flunked it again!

Part of this may be down to the great times I had at the college, although it's all become a distant memory now, I'm desperatly trying to recall some of the names, Andy Docherty I'll never forget.

Dartford PE College on Friday and Saturday nights was a regular haunt, as was the local pub and cash-point to stock up on funds. I could always rely on another trip away to elude that bank manager! I remember the car and anchor incidents, I think I was involved in one or both, if not, then certainly in the audience.

After finally having to leave at the end of '79, I joined the RAF realising that I really needed to start getting on in life, so much so that I'm still in it!

I have many fond memories of my 5 years in the MN, the places I saw, the people I met and I don't regret any of it. For a 16 year old, it really was a lifetimes adventure, giving you a special insight into life. I was gutted when I heard the college had shut, even more so when I found out it had gone. It can only mean that others will be less fortunate than ourselves, for not having the experiences it was able to offer.

Would love to hear from anyone that remembers me, I will crank the old brain up a gear and try and recall some of the names and incidents. I will look for some old pictures too, not sure what I have with me though as I am on a tour in the US, most of my stuff is in storage back in the UK!

Regards to all,

Kev Gregory.

Andy Dogherty
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 10:36 pm:   

Hi to all - anyone out there? Like Kev Gregory, stumbled upon this site via Friends Reunited - a must site if you want to track down the old firm. Kev asked I reply to his note coz noone else has. Hope to catch uop with some of you sooner or later. Keep "reuniting" there must be a story or two out there somewhere.

Best Wishes,
Andy.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.